Thursday, April 29, 2010

later on Wednesday

I mow my grass with an old fashioned 'reel' mower. Children are fascinated by this. The 9 year old next door comes running when he sees me cutting grass: "Can I help, is it my turn?". He doesn't quite understand the concept of cutting in a straight line, but he's working on it. I have to slow him down sometimes, as he gets a little over enthusiastic. 'No, don't mow the flowers, we want to keep those'. But then he asks what they are, and is delighted by the smell of a fresh mint leaf, and the touch of a stachys leaf. It takes a little longer to get the mowing done, but the job is much more interesting.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Have fun with the kid, let him mow down some poison Ivy. A valuable lesson for sure and one he is sure not to forget...