Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The extreme and the small of why I am a feminist

Saudi woman to be lashed for daring to drive a car
An act that we take so much for granted that we don't even take it seriously. We talk, we listen to the radio, we make calls, we send and receive texts: all while driving. And women in Saudi Arabia are sentenced to 10 lashes for getting behind the wheel. How dare they oppose male rule.
And now the small of it: the man just in to pick up a check for black top sealing: who addressed me as "Young Lady". I've got at least 20 years on him. 'Young Lady' does not flatter me, does not impress me, does not incline me to feel kindly towards the person addressing me so. Ma'am would be OK. Even Miss. Assuming that I need to be flattered by being called young is insulting. I've earned my grey hairs.

No comments: