Saturday, April 28, 2012

Freed After 25 Years: Justice Is Michael Morton's Weapon Of Choice : NPR

Freed After 25 Years: Justice Is Michael Morton's Weapon Of Choice : NPR

Every time I have myself convinced that the most heinous murderers should be killed rather than kept in prison, a story like this comes along to remind me of why that's a bad idea.
Sure I tell myself, we would only kill the ones who are absolutely positively guilty without a doubt.
But then we see that evidence can be manufactured or withheld, that prosecutors wanting to make a name for themselves can use their power and influence to destroy an innocent man.
And once again I have to say: no, we should not use the death penalty.
Our courts are such a mess, aren't they. The innocent go to jail, the guilty walk because evidence wasn't gathered in just the right way, the rich can escape the law completely, unless they do something so bad that not even their wealth can cover it up [which isn't very often].
And Texas leaders brag about how tough their state is on crime and criminals.
Remember Rick Perry's crowing words?
I wonder what he has to say about Mr. Morton?

No comments: