Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Akins says 'Sorry', but you still get to be pregnant!

Akins apologises.
He's really sorry that he let slip his ignorance.
But he's not sorry for you bitches who let yourselves get illegitimately raped.
Which is maybe what he really means. Because he's going to make you carry that baby, if you get pregnant from the 'rape', so you will have to give birth to an illegitimate child.
I'm trying to imagine the dinner table conversations this might lead to.
"Mommy, who's my daddy?"

"I don't know, dear. I was grabbed from behind, pulled into a van, and then forcibly raped many times for several hours, before being tossed out of the car and into a ditch. I never saw your daddy's face, but everytime I look at you, I wonder if I'm seeing that face after all."
or
"Your daddy is your great-uncle Joe, who started forcing himself on me when I was 12 years old, and he used to tell me that if I didn't do what he said, he would tell my parents that I had been bad, and I would be taken away from my family and put in a special home for bad children. And then I got pregnant and my parents didn't believe me."
or
"Your daddy is someone I met in a bar one night, when I was trying to drink enough to stop worrying for a little bit over having just been laid off. I think he must have slipped something into one of my drinks, because I can remember being sprawled over the car seat, him on top of me plunging away at me, but I was unable to move or say anything to stop him, and then he was done, and he left me in the car, and when I recovered enough, I drove home and then I was pregnant and spent the next nine monthes trying to rearrange my life to be able to take care of a child when it was obvious that I couldn't even really take care of myself, and now here we are."

Alexandra Petri has a wonderful view into the depths of Mr. Akin's mind here. Not a place for anyone sensible to go willingly. It's a dark and twisty place. It's the kind of place that thinks there's a difference between forcible rape and any other kind, and tries to get that 'fact' enshrined in law.


No comments: