Friday, August 17, 2012

BBC News - South Africa Lonmin mine killings: Zuma announces inquiry

BBC News - South Africa Lonmin mine killings: Zuma announces inquiry


"The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) accused the police of carrying out a massacre.

"There was no need whatsoever for these people to be killed like that," General Secretary Jeffrey Mphahlele told Reuters news agency."

If I was on the police line: and I saw a group of angry men rushing towards me with spears and machetes? I would fire. Especially if I knew that two policemen had been hacked to death by some of those spears and machetes just a few days earlier. Strikes are one thing. Armed men who have shown they are willing and able to commit murder? That's not a strike. That's anarchy.

No comments: