Saturday, November 10, 2012

Doctor and Patient - An Important Vaccine Few Patients Are Getting - NYTimes.com

Doctor and Patient - An Important Vaccine Few Patients Are Getting - NYTimes.com

An interesting article on the shingles vaccine, and why more people aren't getting it.
I'm supposed to get my shot Thursday, if the pharmacy gets their back order.
The shot is paid for, I've already met my HSA plan deductible for the year. I'm discussing with my insurer whether or not I will owe for the screening to tell me if I'd had chicken pox. I know I had one of those spotted diseases, mumps or measles, but who can remember everything that happened 60 years ago?
Anyways, the screening for chicken pox was billed at $211. and Med Mutual says that's not covered.
I really hate dealing with insurance companies and medical billing. Most of the time we can get things re-billed and taken care of, but it's having to do it. Make the calls, bother the doctors office, the hospital. Life is just so frigging complicated anymore.

Update: Got my vaccination Thursday evening.  The paper that came with it listed several side effects, including:
(possible) redness, soreness, swelling, or itching at the site of the injection. Less common side effects include headache.
I had a headache most of Friday. Now today [Saturday] I notice a slight swelling/redness at the injection site, and a mild itching. Between a mosquito bite and chigger bite itch. Constant but not overwhelming; just noticeable. And a slight tenderness if I rub it, which keeps me from scratching it!

No comments: