Monday, December 03, 2012

Six Policies Economists Love (And Politicians Hate) : Planet Money : NPR

Six Policies Economists Love (And Politicians Hate) : Planet Money : NPR


Short recap:
end mortgage interest deduction; end health care costs as a business deduction; eliminate corporate income tax; eliminate all income and payroll taxes [replaced with progressive consumption tax]; tax carbon emissions; legalize marijuana [and  I presume then tax it, same as liquor and tobacco].

The article has a list of economists who contributed these ideas.

Interesting approach. I've long considered the mortgage interest deduction a mistake. I bought a house I could afford, on my limited income, and don't have enough deductions to make itemizing worthwhile. Meanwhile, my neighbor, who pays twice what the house should be worth, gets to itemize and I help pay for his house.

No comments: