Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Seeing stars

Woke up early this morning, to the light of more stars than I remember seeing in quite some time.
Pulled on some shorts, stepped outside to take a better look.
The southern sky was full of light. Beautiful. But puzzling. There was an area towards the south west, that seemed to have a faint star cluster. But when I turned my head to look at it, it disappeared. Turn back to the south, the cluster appeared again. Back and forth I turned, trying to pinpoint this mysterious cluster. The only way I could see it was out of the corner of my eye.
So I went googling for an answer. And found this from Yahoo, and this from The Straight Dope. I wasn't going crazy. Just experiencing a natural phenomena of the human eye construction.
Here's an interesting little article on how to see in the dark. I'll have to try this next time the starlight wakes me.

No comments: